Facts and figures
In biological, biomedical and pre-clinical research, our Faculty continues to be recognised as an international site of excellence. The Faculty has more than 1,000 people involved in research activities and we hold more than £100 million in research grants and contracts.
Research Assessment Exercise 2008
- Biological Sciences – (UoA 14) 3rd out of 52 in UK
- Preclinical & Human Biological Sciences – (UoA 15) 2nd out of 13 in UK
We had excellent results in the National Student Survey 2011 across all our courses including:
- 100% for Zoology
- 100% for Pharmacology
- 100% for Biomedical Sciences
- 96% for Biology
- 94% for Neuroscience
- 93% for Anatomical Sciences
Overall, Manchester Life Sciences courses scored an average of 92% for student satisfaction.
Staff and Student Numbers 2011
- Undergraduate Students ~ 2000
- Postgraduate Students ~ 375
- Academic Staff ~ 230
- Professional Support Staff ~ 200
Over 28,000m2 of research space, including:
- the AV Hill building, a £39 million research facility for neuroscience and immunology;
- the Michael Smith Building, a £62million research facility for molecular cell biology;
- the Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, a £39million centre that focuses on research at the interface between biology and the physical sciences;
- the Core Technology Facility, a £27 million facility in which young businesses work alongside University research groups.
- The new Carys Bannister Building, a £4 million refurbished facility for Optometry and PSS staff