There are already in place a substantial number of partnerships between industry and Groups within FLS. Such partnerships may be based on collaborative research programmes, scoping exercises, technology transfer, joint studentships, service work and/or consultancy etc. There are a number of ways for commercial businesses to reap the rewards of the high level of academic expertise fostered in the Faculty of Life Sciences.
Benefits of collaborative research with FLS include:
- the cost effective trialling and testing of products, drugs and compounds using University facilities and expertise
- the development of close long-term relationships with both academic staff and capable graduates
- the transfer of innovative techniques and practices from the laboratory to the manufacturing process
- the direct licensing of innovative technologies and processes
- the accessing of government and European Union funds for academic research that would be out of reach for purely commercial projects
Existing partnerships include companies from the Agrochemical, Chemical, Biotechnology, Biopharmaceutical, Personal Care and Cosmetics sectors.
For details of funding opportunities for collaborative projects, please look at our Funding for Collaborations page.