How to apply
Applications are invited for the Programme for 2014 entry. Closing date for online applications: Tuesday, 10 December 2013, 5pm.
We take five students per year onto the Programme, which begins at the end of September. Competition for entry to the Programme is fierce, and we are looking for candidates who demonstrate academic excellence and high motivation for research.
To apply for a Wellcome Trust studentship please submit a separate online application form (you can use the same login if you have already registered for an account). Please make sure you read all instructions for completing the online application carefully. If you have any problems with the online form please contact us.
When on the screen ‘Create New Application’, select:
- ‘Academic Career’ – Postgraduate Research
- ‘Mode of Attendance’ - Full-time
- ‘Program Description’ – search for Wellcome Trust and then select PhD Wellcome Trust (4 Year PhD Programme)
- ‘Step 3’ of the online application form asks for your Proposed Research Supervisor. You just need to type into the ‘Research Title’ box Wellcome Trust 4 Year PhD at this stage.
- ‘Step 8’ funding. In this section please select "Internal" from the Internal/External drop-down menu and "University Scholarship" from the Award Type drop-down menu. Then type "Wellcome Trust PhD Programme" into the Awarding Body text box.
Your application form must be accompanied by a number of supporting documents. These are:
- A document of a 1000 words maximum describing why you wish to take a four year PhD programme and outlining any previous research-related experience you may already have (industrial year, final year Honours project, etc). Include any other information you consider relevant to your application.
- Two references from people who have knowledge of your academic ability. References must be signed, dated and on headed paper. References should be accompanied by a Referee Report Form. Please ensure that your referees complete this form electronically and submit this with your application, or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Certificates and transcripts from all your previous degrees.
- For applicants whose first language is not English you must supply an official IELTS or TOEFL transcript to support your application, or provide a date on which you will be taking a test. Please note the IELTS and TOEFL are only valid for 2 years. If your IELTS or TOEFL expires before the start of your programme you will need to take another official English test before we can issue you with a CAS for your visa application. This is a requirement of the UK Border Agency.
For PhD applicants we require a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 overall [or TOEFL (paper) 577, TOEFL (internet) 90]. The University of Manchester's TOEFL code is 0757. Following an update to UKBA requirements, each component of the English test should meet the minimum requirement of IELTS 5.5 in all components, TOEFL IBT (Listening/Writing 17; Reading 18; Speaking 20).
Please contact us for further information.
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- A current photo of yourself.
All supporting documents can be uploaded and submitted with the online application form or, alternatively, can be sent directly to the Faculty of Life Sciences Graduate Office. Your application can not be considered until all your supporting documents are supplied.
Once submitted you will receive acknowledgement that your application has been received. Your application will be reviewed by the Wellcome Trust Programme Director after the deadline date for applications, as advertised on the website. You will be kept informed of the progress of your application throughout the application procedure. If shortlisted, you will be invited for interview. We will be holding interviews for 2014 studentships on Tuesday 14 January 2014.