Biological Sciences MRes
The one-year Masters of Research (MRes) degree is an innovative route to starting out on a research career. The MRes will provide you with a unique opportunity to experience research projects over a broad range of disciplines and laboratory environments.
This programme involves rotations in laboratories throughout the Faculty of Life Sciences. Where better to study than in the Faculty of Life Sciences - one of the largest and most successful unified research and teaching organisations of its kind in Europe? For an idea of the breadth of available projects, browse the Faculty research group pages.
Our MRes degree allows you to gain research experience and professional skills, sometimes in a different area to your first degree, before deciding on a future career in industry or academic research. This will allow you to make an informed choice about the research area you want to invest your scientific career in.
Your course director is: Matthew Hardman
The primary objective of the MRes degree is to provide students with a wide range of skills that will make subsequent PhD or industrial research studies far more productive and enlightening.
- The MRes can act effectively as the equivalent of the first year of a 1 + 3 year PhD programme by providing intensive training in research and communication skills in preparation for further PhD study
- In some instances, students may be able to link their MRes application to apply for a subsequent 3 year PhD project
- Alternatively, the MRes can act as a stand-alone degree, providing a firm practical basis to a career as a biotechnologist
Students who have participated on the MRes have found it to be a highly rewarding experience as it offers maximum flexibility and empowers students to shape their personal research interests.
- The MRes allows students to make an informed choice about the research area they want to invest their scientific careers in
- It also provides the opportunity to experience research in different environments within The University of Manchester and associated partner institutes, without being restrictive
- Many graduates of the MRes programme go on to register for PhD study in the UK (including Manchester) and abroad
The MRes also offers considerable advantages as a stand-alone degree. It offers a high-quality exit career point for students who may not wish to continue in academia but who are interested in pursuing a research career in an industry or who want to explore other related career paths, such as those provided by scientific publishing or research-funding bodies.
For graduate profiles, see: Rachel Clapp ¦ Cristina Martin-Fernandez
Read more about research in the Faculty which you could become involved in during your MSc.